Avonlea - Clothbound Cheddar
Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar has its roots from the Orkney Islands, which is north of Scotland.
Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar is aged for at least one year and is made from the milk of cows from the rolling countryside of Prince Edward Island, by the maker of COWS Ice Cream
All milk comes from small local farms around P.E.I. and given that no point on the island is ever more than 20 miles or so from the sea, with the salt air and the iron-rich red soil, all these things combine to add flavor and quality to the product.
- Format- 10kg wheels (approx. weight)
- Aged for at least 1 year
- Vegetable Rennet used
- All Natural
- No colour added
- Made with unpasteurized Milk- The milk is lightly heated in a process called thermalization, which preserves the microorganisms and enzymes in raw milk that give cheddar its characteristic flavour.
- Wheels are matured at a temperature of 10-12 degrees Celsius and a humidity level of 90%
- Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar is lovingly wrapped and turned with care as it ages over 14 months. This cheese is filled with the flavor of Prince Edward Island
- The cloth, which is applied to the exterior of the Avonlea Cheddar wheels, allows the cheese to breathe resulting in a rich, robust flavor.
- Flavour Description: Complex flavors, aroma is of fruit and toasted nuts. Firm texture with rich, full bodied flavors and a tangy bite at the end.
- In 2011 Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar was awarded 1st prize at the American Cheese Society Conference in Montreal, QC
- In 2011 Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar was awarded 1st prize at the Canadian Cheese Grand Prix in Toronto, ON.
- In 2009 Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar was awarded GOLD at the American Cheese Society Judging and Competition in Austin, TX.
- In 2008 Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar was awarded SILVER at the American Cheese Society Judging and Competition in Chicago, IL.